3.14.4 Sealing Methods
Folded self-mailers must be sealed using tabs or glue under the following conditions:
a. Tabs must meet the standards for tabs in 3.11. The size and number of tabs required is determined by the weight of the mailpiece and optional design elements as follows:
1. To seal folded self-mailers that weigh up to 3 ounces created in bi-fold, tri-fold formats, pieces with multiple interior folds and a final fold on the bottom, and quarter-fold mailpieces that weigh one ounce or less, place two nonperforated tabs on the top edge, one within 1-inch from the leading and another within 1-inch from the trailing edge, or place one tab on the leading and another on the trailing edge, both placed within 1 inch from the top.
2. To seal quarter-fold mailpieces that weigh more than 1 ounce up to 3 ounces, affix two tabs, one on the leading edge and one on the trailing edge within 1 inch from the top, and affix a third tab on the lower leading edge 1/2 inch from the bottom.
3. To seal oblong pieces that weigh up to 3 ounces, affix one tab in the center of the top edge and one tab in the center of the trailing edge (preferred) or affix both tabs on the trailing edge within 1 inch of the top and bottom edges. Tabs may not be placed on the bottom of an oblong piece.
5. Quarter-fold self-mailers must be sealed with tabs.
a. Folded self-mailers, (except quarter-fold mailpieces) as described in 3.14.3e1 through 3.14.3e3:
Up to 1 ounce: 70 pound paper sealed with a continuous glue line, three glue spots; or elongated glue lines under 3.14.4b; or two 1-inch tabs under 3.14.4a1 and 3.14.4a3.
2. Over 1 ounce: 80 pound paper sealed with a continuous glue line, four glue spots; or four elongated glue lines under 3.14.4b; or two 1-1/2 inch tabs under 3.14.4a1 and 3.14.4a3.
b. Quarter fold self-mailers as described in 3.14.3e4:
1. Up to 1 ounce: 70 pound paper sealed with two 1-inch tabs.
2. Over 1 ounce: 80 pound paper sealed with three 1-1/2inch tabs.
3. Newsprint: 55 pound minimum paper required. Seal pieces one ounce or less with two 1-1/2 inch tabs and those weighing over one ounce with three 1-1/2 inch tabs.